Grateful Memories of Director and Actor Richard Attenborough
Do you remember Professor John Hammond in the movie 'Jurassic Park'?
The mild mannered British professor who unintentionally releases dinosaurs back into the world was played by actor and director Richard Attenborough who passed away on Sunday, August 24, at the age of 90.
Lord Attenborough was also a respected director, he won two Academy Awards for his 1983 film 'Ghandhi.' I remember how moved I was by this movie and thinking how deserving Attenborough was of the Best Director Oscar.
He also directed 'A Chorus Line' in 1985, 'Chaplin' starring Robert Downey, Jr. as the silent film star and 'Magic' with Anthony Hopkins dealing with his killer ventriloquist dummy, Fats.
Those were some of my favorites that Attenborough directed. He was also known for many of his acting roles;
- 'The Great Escape' (1963)-Squadron Leader Roger Bartlett
- 'The Flight of the Phoenix' (1965)-Lew Moran
- 'The Sand Pepples' (1966)-Frenchy Burgoyne
- 'Doctor Dolittle' (1967)-Albert Blossom
- 'Miracle on 34th Street' (1994)-Kris Kringle
- 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' (1999)-Jacob
This multi-talented man brought a lot of great entertainment into my life over the years and although I didn't know much about him, his work on the movie screen took me to places I would have never gone without him.