Today Is National Dog Day
Today August 26th is NATIONAL DOG DAY and its a paw-fect day to celebrate with your furry friend. This holiday (also known as National Dog Appreciation Day) has been celebrated every year on Aug. 26 since 2004.
Here are some great ways to celebrate when you get home from work today:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or purebred rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
- Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
- Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
- Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10 percent discount by using code DOG when placing your order!
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
- Spend the day taking photos of your dog.Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy … or two … or five.
- Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
- Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
- Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.