Bear Wise Workshop At Curt Gowdy State Park
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department will be holding a free Bear Wise workshop in order to address the issues with black bears in and around Curt Gowdy State Park.
The free workshop will be at 1 pm on Sunday, May 23, at Curt Gowdy State Park visitor’s center conference room.
As black bears have been more active as of late, below are a few tips for a Bear Wise campsite:
- Never store attractants in your tent.
- Store all food and garbage and any other odorous items somewhere which is inaccessible to bears.
- If you are able, store attractants inside a vehicle, hard-sided campers, horse trailers, or bear boxes.
- Store food and coolers suspended from a tree at least 10’ to 15’ high and 4’ feet away from the tree trunk.
- Your sleeping area should be 100 yards away from food storage and the cooking area.
- All pet food and livestock feed should be properly stored.
- Wipe down your eating and cooking area after each use.
- Dispose of all garbage properly and pack out any remaining garbage.
Visitors to developed recreation sites on the Medicine Bow and Routt National Forests must now comply with a forest order that requires proper storage of food and refuse which might attract bears.
For more Bear Wise tips visit the Game and Fish webpage at wgfd.wyo.gov.