UPDATE: No Gas Leak Found After ‘Suspicious Smell’ Prompts Cheyenne School Evacuation
Hobbs Elementary School was evacuated around 12:25 p.m. Thursday after a possible gas leak was reported.
"We received a call to investigate a suspicious smell," said Black Hills Energy spokeswoman Laurie Farkas. "It does not appear to be a Black Hills Energy situation at this time."
Farkas wouldn't speculate about what school officials might have smelled, but Laramie County School District 1 spokeswoman Mary Quast says maintenance personnel are conducting site repairs.
Quast says after school activities that were slated to take place at Hobbs, including the Robotics Club and PTO meeting, have been cancelled.
At approximately 12:25 p.m., Hobbs Elementary students were evacuated from the building. During this time, Black Hills Energy was assessing the possibility of a gas leak.
Due to the weather and the length of time to allow for a thorough inspection, administrators decided to transport students to Storey Gymnasium as part of the District’s safety protocol.
Students arrived at Storey Gym at 1:30 p.m. Since Black Hills Energy continued to inspect and investigate in and around the school, students were dismissed immediately to parents or authorized adults at Storey Gymnasium.
Further details will be released as they become available.
"Parents are in the process of picking up their children at this location," Quast said in a statement.
Quast says Black Hills Energy is currently assessing the situation.