Laramie County’s Number One Killer
There are a lot of things that can kill us here in Laramie County, but there is one that is more popular than others. So what is the number one killer in Cheyenne anyway?
The Wyoming Department of Health recently sent out a list, by county, of those things which are killing people off in the Cowboy State. Although there are similarities, there are some differences when you look at it from county to county.
Here is a list of 5 things that are enemies to the health of our friends and neighbors here in Cheyenne and Laramie County. Do you know of anyone who has died from these?
- Diseases of the Heart - According to one study, from World Life Expectancy, out of every 100,000 people in Wyoming, almost 195 people in Laramie County die from some sort of heart disease.
- Cancer - Cancer is the second most leading cause of death in Laramie County.
- Chronic Lower Respiratory - We've probably all known someone who has passed from this.
- Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementia - As of this date, according to some reports, Alzheimer related diseases are the fourth largest cause of death in the U.S. as well as in Laramie County.
- Other Unintentional Injuries - Motorcycle and vehicular accidents, horse riding, fighting, etc are a few ways people have lost their lives here.
The good news is that we continue to conduct research on all of these and we do have groups here in Laramie County that are doing their best to fight off these killer diseases.