A bizarre murder trial currently unfolding in Maine took an even stranger turn yesterday, when the defendant stood before a judge and claimed that the members of Slayer were somehow involved in the killing.

Twenty-five-year-old Leroy Smith III, standing trial for the 2011 murder of his father, Leroy Smith Jr., was in court for a competency hearing being held to determine whether he's mentally fit to be tried -- and made it pretty plainly evident that whatever plane of reality he resides on is far removed from our own.

Over the judge's objections, Smith complained that his legal team has refused to investigate what he claims is the real story of his father's murder. Although he's already confessed to the killing, telling police he "filleted" the elder Smith in retaliation for a lifetime of sexual abuse, Smith added a few fantastical-sounding details to the story during the Jan. 5 hearing.

"I had a gun pointed to my head and was sworn to keep secret of what I am, and they refused investigating any persons that are responsible," insisted Smith. "The whole entire music group Slayer was there. I was told then that what they did was too overboard. I sent them a message on Facebook and that Jeff Hanneman, the guitarist, takes his own life. He took his own life May 5 of 2013."

Refusing to comment on the likelihood of Slayer standing around in the woods of Maine during a grisly murder, or to point out that Hanneman actually died of liver failure, the judge warned Smith that he'd have to either be quiet or be removed.

Smith's break with reality has been well documented by the local press; in fact, his own attorney complained that "he thinks our role is to subpoena society and to subpoena certain heavy metal bands to come to explain why they won't let him play with them."

According to CentralMaine.com, Smith earlier claimed to be a political prisoner, and after interviewing him, a court evaluator said "he had delusions that he thought he was God, grandiose delusions he was the best guitarist in the world."

Smith, who apparently suffered a head injury in a 1989 car accident and has refused to take antipsychotic medication, will now be remanded to the custody of the state's Department of Health & Human Services.

You Think You Know Slayer?