Week 10: Around the Mountain West Conference
* Mountain West Conference press release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., -- Wyoming and Colorado State will meet for the 114th time in history Saturday night in Fort Collins. Will the Cowboys stay in the hunt for a Mountain Division title or will the Rams play spoiler?
Get our free mobile app
Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. Mountain Time and the game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
Here's some other news and notes from around the Mountain West Conference:
- Dating back to the 2019 season, the Mountain West has won 19 games against autonomous-5 opponents, including 16 against the Pac-12. This is the most wins in that time span amongst all non-autonomous-5 conferences.
- In the past 18 years, the Mountain West has been the top non-autonomous-5 conference 10 times and second five times.
- The Mountain West produced the first non-automatic-qualifying FBS team into a BCS bowl game (Utah - 2005 Fiesta Bowl) and into the College Football Playoff (Boise State - 2014 Fiesta Bowl).
- After Wyoming’s double-overtime victory over Tulsa on Sept. 3, and Air Force’s win against Navy on Oct. 1, the Mountain West now has a 17-11 record against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Nevada senior safety Bentlee Sanders is a semifinalist for the 2022 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award, the only DB from outside the Autonomous-5 to earn a spot on the list.
- San José State senior linebacker Kyle Harmon has racked up 402 total tackles in his career, just one tackle behind fifth-most all time in MW history, currently held by New Mexico’s Dakota Cox (403; 2013-16).
- Nevada senior running back Toa Taua has rushed for 3,654 yards in his career, the fourth-most among active FBS players. Taua is just 139 yards shy of tying for fifth-most all-time in league history.
- Fresno State senior quarterback Jake Haener has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 24 consecutive games, beginning on Oct. 24, 2019. This is the third-longest stretch in Conference history. Carson Strong (Nevada) and Derek Carr (Fresno State) hold the league record with a touchdown pass in 26 straight games.
- Over the last 18 seasons, the MW has captured the Bowl Challenge Cup five times and owns the third-best win percentage in bowl games among the 10 FBS conferences (.583), trailing only the SEC (.621) and Sun Belt (.593).
Boise State (6-3) and Wyoming (6-3) became bowl eligible on Saturday, Oct. 29, while Air Force (6-3) and San José State (6-2) earned eligibility on Saturday, Nov. 5.
- The Broncos are bowl eligible for the 25th consecutive season, the third-longest active streak nationally, trailing just Ohio State and Georgia.
- The Cowboys are postseason bound for the sixth time in seven season.
- Air Force is bowl eligible for the 13th time in 16 seasons.
- SJSU head coach Brent Brennan is the first Spartan head coach to go to two bowl games since Claude Gilbert in 1986 & 1987.
UW: University of Wyoming Cowboys’ Greatest Games From the First Decade of the 2000’s