What’s Next for the Oldest Building in Downtown Denver?
The Curry-Chucovich House sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of its neighbors on Court Place in downtown Denver. Not only is the building's regal red architecture extremely eye-catching, but the historic property awkwardly sits in the middle of two parking lots.
The 3230-square-foot building was originally built in 1887. The 134-year-old townhouse at 1439 Court Place is regarded as being the oldest remaining residential structure in downtown Denver, dating farther back than the famous Molly Brown house by just a year.
The Queen Anne Victorian-style home was built for a wealthy Colorado resident named James Curry, who operated Douglas County Lava Quarries. Stone from his own quarry in Castle Rock was even used to build the house, as well as several other structures in the upper downtown area. Curry passed away later on down the road, and the home was left to his wife, who ultimately lost it as a result of financial debt.
Following Curry's death, a Yugoslavian immigrant named Vasco Chucovich took possession of the property in 1902. However, Chucovich himself never actually lived inside the house. Rather, the Denver Post reports the notorious gambler used it as a place to hide his girlfriend. When Chucovich died in 1933 the sandstone site was allegedly tied up in probate court for a while.
Lawyers William Myrich and Norton Fichey then moved their offices into the then-vacant building. They were responsible for getting the Curry-Chucovich House on the national historic registry.
When prominent Denver defense attorney Walter Gerash took over the space in 1982, he further got the house designated as a protected city landmark, which explains why it remains in its location between the parking lots and has not been torn down like many of the other old buildings.
Gerash retired in 2010 and sold the 19th-century building to a trust for $750K.
In 2018, the Curry-Chucovich House was converted into an Airbnb by a man who was leasing the space. The short-term rental offered seven beds and could accommodate up to 12 guests. The change was made as a way to generate more income for the Court Place property.
Currently, the three-story building is being advertised to lease as office spaces. It will be interesting to see what's next for this local landmark.