Laramie County Community College Students Win National Awards
The Wingspan program at Laramie County Community College (LCCC) is a student media organization that just won several awards from the American Scholastic Press Association (ASPA), according to ShortGo.
The biggest award LCCC received was the first place with special merit for Best Scholastic Newspaper. This is the 29th year in a row that LCCC Wingspan program has either won first place or first place with merit in this category. The Wingspan program wasn't done there as they received awards for Best Oustanding Feature Section and Oustanding Service to the Community.
LCCC's Wingspan program cleaned up with National Awards this year. The regional Mark of Excellence contest which was sponsored by SPJ, LCCC's Wingspan won these awards:
- Editorial Writing: Wingspan Staff
- In-Depth Reporting: Carolyn Tomanek, Courtney Watson, Christopher Edwards, and Josh McLees
- Photo Illustration: Courtney Watson
- General Column Writing: Jenna Piper
- Breaking News Reporting: Courtney Watson and Josh McLees
- General News Reporting: Courtney Watson
- Feature Writing: Courtney Watson
Will Crawford was an editor with the Wingspan program and this is what he had to say about the students and his advisor, Jake Sherlock.
“It shows that the staff are really hard workers,” Crawford told ShortGo. “We know how to have fun and how to be a group that sticks together, but we also know how to get the job done and we know how to make our adviser look good.”