The Strange History Of Jackson Wyoming’s Playhouse
Jackson Wyoming's famous playhouse was many things before it became what it is best known for.
Honestly, it was so many things it was hard to keep track.
Even when it first became a playhouse it was almost lost.
The building was the garage for the Rowles Motor Company.
It housed Anderson-Penton Trucking freight.
Then finally it became The Pink Garter Theater then later Diamond Lil Theater.
But there is a historic name tied directly to this building.
Look way up on top and you'll see "Deloney 1916."
It all began at "Pap" Deloney's general store.
In 1923 Walt Spicer moved his Ford Dealership there.
What wasn't this building might be a better question to ask.
There is even a photo of the workers at this building when it was the Conoco W.L. Spicer garage. There's a good year tire sign in the background.
BUT WAIT! We are just getting warmed up.
In 1953 Ed and Vera Cheney purchased the building and installed a bowling alley and pool hall.
It was Cheney Electric for a while, selling radios and other electronics to name a few endeavors they were into.
During that time the building also served as a local bus depot and a photography studio.
It even had a gun shop inside.
OH, let's not forget the charity event space.
Then in 1959, the Cheneys converted the inside into a 150-seat theater.
The building was almost lost when a trash can caught fire.
That forced Cheney out of their upstairs apartment.
The building reopened as a theater in the 1960s.
The Jackson Hole Playhouse took it over in 1974.
That's the name it keeps today.